It's just a 20 minute prep so you can set it and forget it. Can't go wrong with that! Whether it's cold outside or not, this hits the spot!
Cook Time: 4 hours
Author: Ashley l www.JoyfulThriftyHome.com
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 small-medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves (or about 1 teaspoon) minced garlic
- 4-5 cups chopped kale (about one bunch)
- 8-10 strips of bacon, cooked and crisp then crumbled
- 32 oz chicken broth (homemade or low sodium)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 potatoes
- Freshly grated (or shredded) Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Crumble sausage and cook over medium-high heat in a skillet on the stove. Add minced onion to the sausage a few minutes into cooking. Once meat is mostly browned, add garlic. Continue cooking until meat is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Drain the meat of any excess grease.
- Pour chicken broth and heavy cream into a large slow cooker (at least 6 quarts). Add kale, bacon, ground sausage with onion and garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for about three hours.
- Scrub potatoes and cut into bite sized cubes with the skins on. Place potatoes into slow cooker and cook for another 40-60 minutes or until potatoes are for tender.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese if desired.